Sunday, October 17, 2010

Infirmities, Crimes and Misfortunes: George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior, Part 5


Yes, boys and girls, it's time for another lesson in courteous behavior from old Father George. I find this group to be mixed bag. While I certainly subscribe to Rules 21 and 25, and think 24 should apply to other people, 22 and 23 are going to be mighty tough. So much for my dreams of living in the White House.

21. Reproach none for the infirmities of nature, nor delight to put them that have in mind of thereof.

22. Show not yourself glad at the misfortune of another though he were your enemy.

23. When you see a crime punished, you may be inwardly pleased; but always show pity to the suffering offender.

24. Do not laugh too loud or too much at any public spectacle.

25. Superfluous compliments and all affectation of ceremonies are to be avoided, yet where due they are not to be neglected.

3 comments:

Deka Black said...

I don't like the 24. is like is forbidden to laugh.

Charles Gramlich said...

I try to do most of these. I don't always succeed

Kassandra said...

I don't know, Evan. I still think your missus could get to the White House. Maybe you could visit sometimes, though with you doing #24 it might not be very often...