Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Skyler Hobbs and the Bard of Alvin

Imagine my surprise walking into last week's critique group meeting and being presented with this issue of Mystery Scene, containing several kind words about "Skyler Hobbs and the Rabbit Man". Well, maybe you can't imagine, but I can tell you I was pretty dang surprised. But maybe I shouldn't have been.

This Crider feller, you see, was the same guy who hyped Davy Crockett's Almanack in his "Blog Bytes" column back in the February issue of EQMM, on the page right opposite the story in question. Bill just can't help it, I guess. He's just swell that way.

So Mr. Skyler Hobbs and I are doubly in his debt. Little wonder Hobbs was reading a copy of the hot new mystery Mississippi Vivian in yesterday's Flash Fiction Challenge entry, "Skyler Hobbs and the Sweetest of Dreams".

(BTW, Bill, for future reference I am neither short nor sweet, but since we haven't seen each other since 1985 I'm not shocked you forgot.)

P.S. The other writer Bill refers to in this piece is Steve Steinbock, whose story "Cleaning Up" appeared in the March/April EQMM

P.P.S. And thanks to ZooMystery author Ann Littlewood (Check out her latest novel Did Not Survive on the left side of this page) for gifting me with her copy of Mystery Scene.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great story, and I was glad to give it a plug. I can't take credit for the title of the column, though.

1985? Has it really been that long? Geez.

Kenneth Mark Hoover said...

Yay! Good news indeed and well deserved. :)

Laurie Powers said...

Congrats, and it doesn't suprise me a bit.

George said...

It's great that you and Steve appeared in Bill's MYSTERY SCENE column. Well deserved, indeed!

Anonymous said...

This magazine just appeared in the mailbox yesterday, I haven't read more than the first few pages. I'll be on the lookout for the Skyler Hobbs mention!

Deka Black said...

A question from someone who don't know about the mistery magazines world: Is this a important one? Of course, i know about EQMM, but not the other one.

Evan Lewis said...

My humble thanks to you all.

Yes, Deka, Mystery Scene is a well-respected magazine. I'm honored to get a mention there.

Deka Black said...

i see, you must be very proud then.

Richard Prosch said...

Hey! How cool is that! Now I REALLY gotta get me the new copy. Congrats!

Paul D Brazill said...

Congratulations and well deserved.