Friday, June 15, 2012

Forgotten (but FREE) Stories: Race Williams in Carroll John Daly's "Murder by Mail"


Here's your monthly fix of blazing guns and sudden death, Race Williams style. "Murder by Mail" appeared in the March 1931 issue of Black Mask, and has languished there ever since.

This is the fourth in our continuing series of Lost Adventures of Race Williams. If you requested any of the first three, Alias Buttercup, The Super-Devil or Blind Alleys, I'll be sending you this one too. If not, blast me an email at delewis1@hotmail.com, and I'll be glad to shoot you back scans of all four stories.

And check out this week's line-up of Forgotten Books at pattinase!

9 comments:

George said...

I have a copy of THE HIDDEN HAND that I need to read. I love Carroll John Daly's writing!

Anonymous said...

Looks good! Looking forward to that email.

Evan Lewis said...

The Hidden Hand is next on my list of To-Be-ReRead Race Williams novels.

shonokin said...

Got the email and wanted to drop by to publicly say thanks! What a treat to get out of the blue!!!
Daly fans unite!

Deka Black said...

As someone who doesn't have english as his bith language, i must say the writing of Carrol John Daly is easy to understand and soon i find myself readinh withput "translating" in my head while i'm reading.

shonokin said...

I have the Harper Collins paperback of The Hidden Hand but I did notice that the 1929 Grosset & Dunlap hardback is on amazon for an average of $15.

David Cranmer said...

Thanks for this, Evan.

Evan Lewis said...

I have a couple of those G&D Hidden Hands in different colors, so they must have printed a lot of them. That's the only Daly novel I've seen in a cheap hardcover edition.

Evan Lewis said...

Oops. Wrong again. Just noticed a G&D edition of The Man in the Shadows on my shelf. It's a third-person treatment of Three-Gun Terry Mack, the world's first hardboiled private eye. Equally embarrassing, I can't remember reading it.