Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Overlooked Audio: King Kull in "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune" by Robert E. Howard


A couple of months ago I posted Side A of the LP From the Hells Beneath the Hells, read by Ugo Toppo. That side featured two Howard poems and a short short story. You can find it HERE.

Today, for your listening or downloading pleasure, here's Side B, featuring King Kull. The album, issued in 1975 by Alternate World Recordings, was produced and directed by Roy and Shelley Torgerson.

When I read a Kull story, or hear one, or even just hear his name, I see him as drawn by John Severin, so I couldn't resist tossing up a couple of those drawings here. At the end of this post is a two-page quickie version of the tale from the Marvel comic Conan 35. These pages, I believe, were penciled by John Buscema and inked by John Severin.


THE MIRRORS OF TUZUN THUNE - Listen Now


THE MIRRORS OF TUZUN THUNE - Click to Download

(click to enlarge)

For more of this week's Overlooked Cool Stuff, visit Sweet Freedom.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Now this is cool. I have a copy of this on my shelves.

Deka Black said...

Is not my favorite King Kull story. But is a good one. A bit slow to me being honest.

Richard Prosch said...

Oh brave new world of 1975 where such wonders could exist! I didn't know this was out there. Thankee kindly.

And I know that you know that I know that Severin rocks all worlds!

Todd Mason said...

Torgeson. I still have to wonder what or who if anyone has rights to the Alternate Worlds Recordings...particularly as so many of the writers reading their own work (Robert Bloch, Fritz Leiber, Joanna Russ...) for the label have since passed. Happily, Harlan Ellison and Ursula K. Le Guin are still with us. But it would be nice to make all this available.

While I knew about these, the thing that got by me, which the comics remind me of, was SWORD OF SORCERY, the shortlived DC Comic devoted to Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser...found it Much later...

Evan Lewis said...

There are many apt artist/character combos, but I can't think of one that surpasses Severin and Kull.

richard r said...

good un

Deka Black said...

maybe P. Craig Russel and Elric.

Michael E. Stamm said...

Again, many thanks for posting this; I've been looking for this LP for years (probably since about 1980) and had just about given up hope of ever hearing it. This is great.