Friday, October 7, 2011

Forgotten Books: Wildcat O'Shea covers by STERANKO


In the tradition of last week's collection of K'ing Kung-Fu covers by Barry Smith, here's another series I picked up solely for the cover art. Never read one, but I should. They all say © Jack Bickham. They were published in 1970 and 71.

The back of the first book (above) says this:
BAD DAY IN BLANCO
     It started when Wildcat O'Shea joined an amateur rebel army of four - a storekeeper, a minister, a former lawman, and a schoolteacher - in a surprise assault on the jail and its crooked sheriff.
     They captured them, for a wonder, and proclaimed that Blanco was now free of the lawless domination of Frost, the big rancher and landowner who ran the town and everyone in it.
     But Frost wasn't finished, and his men outnumbered them ten to one. By afternoon, there was a regular war on in Blanco.
     It was Wildcat who thought of getting hold of the Civil War cannon in the park - and things got really interesting!
 



Forgotten Books is a weekly presentation of pattinase

9 comments:

Deka Black said...

This kind of cover makes me think in spaghetti western.

Steve M said...

I was wondering about hunting down this series the other week, now, seeing those covers, think I might just have to put some more effort into my search.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like that top cover particularly. Never heard of these but I'd like to give one a try sometime.

J F Norris said...

In the first one O'Shea looks like Shell Scott with a bad dye job.

Cullen Gallagher said...

Off to eBay I go...

George said...

Nifty covers! I wonder how many of us buy books solely for the cover...

Ed Gorman said...

Wow. Knock-outs. I read and enjoyed every one. All written by the late Jack Bickham. One of the most talented and nicest writers I've ever met.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great trip.

Richard Prosch said...

Steranko. Such a wonderful, precocious talent. Off to Google I go to find out what he's done in the thirty years of so since...