Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Prince Valiant Vol. 3: Pirates, Vikings and Mythical Beasts


I've been savoring my way through Fantagraphics new series of Prince Valiant reprints, and Volume 3: 1941-1942, is another stunner. Val has gone exploring, and here journeys through the Holy Land, Africa and parts of Europe before heading back to Camelot.

Of special note, he meets Queen Aleta, his future bride, is captured by pirates, goes a'roving with good-natured Viking and battles an ogre (gorilla), a unicorn (rhino) and a dragon (elephant). Feast thine eyes.





4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I always loved the art in these. And was a pretty good ongoing story as well. I should get a collection of these.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to start getting these from the library...

David Cranmer said...

Superb art! A must for this fan.

Cap'n Bob said...

I once owned 100 Sunday comic sections from a San Francisco newspaper, and Val was on the front page. The work was breathtaking. Foster was a magnificent artist.