Saturday, February 22, 2014

A DAFFY DILL Cover Gallery

1937

All Hail Daffy Dill. These first five covers feature Daffy the way I picture him, with curly red-blond hair and looking a little like Richard Sale himself (gotta wonder if that was deliberate). I'm sure there were many more bearing this image, but sadly, I just don't happen to own 'em.

The issue above presented the first (I think) of at least two team-ups with Sale's DFW photog hero, Candid Jones. (Read the first Candid Jones story, "The Long Shot," HERE.)

Richard Sale

1939

1939

1939

1939

1937

1938

1938

TOMORROW: An encore performance of the Daffy novelette "A Dirge for Pagliaccio."

5 comments:

Ed Gorman said...

Great covers! Thanks for running them. You sure do invaluable work.h

Oscar Case said...

Mighty colorful and expressive.

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks guys!

Shay said...

More Daffy Dill! Especially the story where he co-stars with the German Shepherd.

Okay, okay. I own a German Shepherd.

Anonymous said...

I have Tinsley's reporter, "Tracy"
coming my way, but "Daffy" is my #1 wisecracking newshound ever since I read "Nose For News" way back when.
"Get that story" and "Stop the presses, I got a story that'll blow the roof right of this town"

30