Friday, October 20, 2017

Forgotten Stories: CHARLIE CHAN in "The Land of the Leopard Men" (1948)


What? You've never heard of "The Land of the Leopard Men"? Then you must have missed Charlie Chan #1, published by Prize comics back in 1948. I did, too, until I saw it on comicbookplus, the amazing public domain comics website (where Mike Britt sent me). It was uploaded there by a user called "freddyfly". The cover above is by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, and the artwork below by Carmine Infantino. Check out that blonde on pages 2 and 3. Carmine was spending a lot of time looking at Milt Caniff strips. 












2 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

What a coincidence, I'm about 4/5 through THE BLACK CAMEL right now. Of the several Chan novels Biggers wrote, I've yet to see any of his sons involved. I guess that whole "number one son" thing was created for the films, which in my opinion are inferior to the novels.

This comic was fun, though. Thanks!

Elgin Bleecker said...

First glance, I thought Caniff? Closer look, it’s not. But these artists were paying attention.