Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Art of Nero Wolfe: MEET NERO WOLFE



.
I've had this 1-sheet poster for about 25 years, and that's just how long it took to get it framed. It was my wife's idea, of course (thanks, babe!). I'm much better at collecting stuff than displaying it properly.

Anyway, it's a truly gorgeous poster. Sadly, I've never seen the film. It was playing at a Bouchercon in San Francisco eons ago, but there were a passel of other events scheduled at the same time, and I must have deemed one of them more important.

Reviews of the film, made in 1936, have not been kind. It seems notable mainly for an early, minor appearance by Rita Hayworth, here billed as Rita Cansino. She would not adopt the Hayworth name for another year.

Next to this in our living room hangs the companion poster, The League of Frightened Men (1937), in which Walter Connolly replaced Edward Arnold as Wolfe. Lionel Stander played Archie in both films. That's him at lower left in the hat.

Next week, if I can get the camera working again, I'll bring you a pic of The League poster. I think it's even more gorgeous than this one.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is gorgeous but looks like a horror film from the expression on those green faces. I had some French ones I loved, but time was really hard on them.

Evan Lewis said...

You're right. They're giving Wolfe the King Kong treatment.

Cap'n Bob said...

I have seen both of those films and neither is very good. Archie is a buffoon and Wolfe too excitable. Still, you need to see them to maintain your Nero Wolfe fan bona fides.

Brian Drake said...

Great poster. I'm just beginning my journey into the Wolfe canon, so far with some of the books and the various radio shows (the CBC version is terrific), and am enjoying every minute.