Saturday, March 19, 2011

A new Mystery Writer of America in the house


I got a swell letter from the MWA the other day. Congratulations! it said. At the March 9, 2011 meeting of the National Board of the Mystery Writers of America, your membership status was approved and changed to Active.

Included was the 2010-11 Directory of members, my official membership card and the list of programs, discounts and benefits reserved for Active members. I was already in possession of the official lapel pin, and I trust my official secret decoder ring will be arriving any day now.

On this auspicious occasion, I am reminded of many of the other illustrious groups I have been privileged to join over the years. The list below is by no means complete. These are the outfits I either remember, or still have a tattered old membership card for, in more or less the order I joined up. My humblest apologies to the MWA if my association with any of these groups tarnishes the reputation of their fine organization.

Cub Scouts of America
Supermen of America
Tri-City Numismatic Society
The Three Stooges All American Fan Club
Merry Marvel Marching Society
Herb Smiles Army
Boy Scouts of America
KJR Go-Go Club
The Strychnine Five
International Order of DeMolay
People Wildly Indignant Towards Cap’n Cy
The Company Soul
Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Brotherhood of Railway, Airline and Steamship Clerks
Phi Kappa Phi
Capitol Record Club
American Automobile Association
Sinister Cinema Fan Club
The Brotherhood of Bronze
The Shadow’s Secret Society
Communications Workers of America
Science Fiction Book Club
Paperback Collectors Guild
DAPA-EM
Cascade Blues Association
Toastmasters International
The Alamo Society
Willamette Writers
Zorro’s Fighting Legion
Yolawriters
OWLHOOT

19 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

THE STRYCHNINE FIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lXtzM_DKg

Sweet dude. Rock on!

Deka Black said...

International Order of DeMolay --> Are you a Templar Knight?

David Cranmer said...

Congrats, Evan!

Unknown said...

Congrats, and how can I join Zorro's Fighting Legion? I can sing the theme song from the serial if need be.

Evan Lewis said...

Yes indeed, Bill! You and all other Alamanack readers are invited to join the Legion. Just listen to the song at the link below, and when Zorro asks to raise your right hand and take the pledge, do so!

http://davycrockettsalmanack.blogspot.com/2009/10/youre-invited-take-pledge-to-join.html

Evan Lewis said...

Am I a secret member of the Knights Templar? You should know better than to ask, Deka. It's a secret.

Evan Lewis said...

Yes, Cullen, you tracked us down. There are photos of both members of The Strychnine Five in that video, and even one of the famous Clapton Bob Napier.

Anonymous said...

Well, congrats, Evan, that's an impressive list. I notice you didn't mention The Plant Nerds of Portland in there, that must be only the other member of the family...

Evan Lewis said...

True. I'm a nerd, but there's only one plant nerd in the house.

Deka Black said...

A secret? Well, in this case, i am going now. Get back Holy Relics and all that stuff.

Troy Smith said...

Congrats, my Phi Kappa Phi brother! But...MMMS and no FOOM? Really.

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Congrats, that is quite an honor!

Cap'n Bob said...

You forgot The Moops. I didn't know you collected coins, other than the pennies in your loafers. All in all, quite a list.

Cap'n Bob said...

You got a MWA pin? The cheapskates never gave me one.

Kenneth Mark Hoover said...

Very cool, congrats!

Evan Lewis said...

The Moops! Jeez, how could I forget the Moops? Wait, who are the Moops, again?

Cap'n Bob said...

So you're forgetting us little guys already, eh? T'was ever thus.

Tor said...

An amazing list. You are the ultimate nerd!

Evan Lewis said...

High praise indeed from a guy named after a comic book cave man.