Friday, March 2, 2012

(Un)Forgotten Books: A Princess of Mars


Ah, the power of advertising.

TV has been hammering me with trailers for the new John Carter movie for over a month now, and it worked. Heck, I couldn’t even wait for the movie. I had to bust out my old Science Fiction Book Club volumes and dive back into the world of Barsoom.

And it didn’t disappoint. 100 years after it’s first publication, this novel is still a wild ride. Sure, it’s a little creaky in places, especially around the romance, but it’s still a great story and a great concept. Burroughs' world-building was complex and varied enough to carry him through nine more novels. And in the process, he created a sub-genre of science fiction that’s been expanded by a long line of other authors, right down to a guy named Charles Gramlich.

Not surprisingly, A Princess of Mars left me wanting more, so I powered right through the sequel, The Gods of Mars, and have the rest of the books lined up like dominoes.

Will the movie live up to the book? Maybe, maybe not. The important thing is - the book still lives.




For your Forgotten Book fix, visit the exotic planet of pattinase.

10 comments:

Deka Black said...

Barsoom still lives indeed! I just began to read God of Mars and is like i never left Barsoom

Rick said...

I started in on them again as well. A good yarn still, just as you say. Recommended to all still young enough to live the adventure. ERB, thank you.

George said...

I'm traveling to Barsoom this week to get ready for JOHN CARTER. I haven't read Burroughs' Mars books in decades. Time to get back into them.

Randy Johnson said...

Do you know they've done a novelization of the JOHN CARTER script. Don't know why, but they do include Burroughs' novel, albeit after that novelization.

Chris said...

This really is great stuff.

Erich Kuersten said...

I loved these books as a kid too, much more so than Tarzan. I wish I still had them, all I have is an old 30s? (15 cent cover price) paperback of 'The Moon Maid'

Anonymous said...

My god that Rick guy sure looks a lot like me. It's scary, since it ISN'T me.

I have this one lined up too, but two books I'm in the middle of, an infusion of other things, a non-book project and a new read-along thingie have me a bit bogged down. I'll get to it pretty soon, I hope.

Walker Martin said...

I was nine years old when I became hooked on the Mars novels and Tarzan. They had alot to do with me becoming the reader and collector that I am today. I haven't been to the movies in months but I plan to see this one.

Charles Gramlich said...

Hey, thanks for the mention, man. I appreciate it. I love this art. I don't know why this genre just sings adventure to me.

Anonymous said...

I read the first eight (Ballantine & Ace) back in High School, and "Skeleton Men of Jupiter" in an AMAZING STORIES reprint. I didn't want the series to end so I have never read LLANA OF GATHOL. I'm 64 now so it sounds like it's about time