Saturday, June 26, 2010

BEAT to a PULP - TWICE!


Sometime today, my pirate tale "The Mercy of Jean Lafitte" is slated to be posted on the acclaimed Internet mag BEAT to a PULP, and I hope you'll pop over and take a squint at it. (And if you find it's not up yet, please take the opportunity to enjoy Patti Abbot's elegant short story, "At the Cafe Sabarsky.")

UPDATE, 5-5-12: Unfortunately BEAT to a PULP's 2010 archive is currently down. I'll post a notice when "The Mercy of Jean Lafitte" is once again accessible.

In other news, David Cranmer has announced the complete line-up for the soon-to-be-published anthology BEAT to a PULP: Round One, and I was pleased to find my name on the list. It will be an honor to be between covers with so many writers I admire. My story "The Ghost Ship" involves a crew of scurvy pirates who—well, I'll let you find out for yourself.

Here's what's coming in BEAT to a PULP: Round One:
Maker’s and Coke -- Jake Hinkson
A Free Man -- Charles Ardai
Fangataufa -- Sophie Littlefield
You Don’t Get Three Mistakes -- Scott D. Parker
Insatiable -- Hilary Davidson
Boots on the Ground -- Matthew Quinn Martin
Studio Dick -- Garnett Elliott
Killing Kate -- Ed Gorman
The Strange Death of Ambrose Bierce -- Paul S. Powers
Heliotrope -- James Reasoner
The Wind Scorpion -- Edward A. Grainger
Hard Bite -- Anonymous-9
Crap is King, a “Miles Jacoby” story -- Robert J. Randisi
The All-Weather Phantom -- Mike Sheeter
Pripet Marsh -- Stephen D. Rogers
Ghostscapes -- Patricia Abbott
Off Rock -- Kieran Shea
At Long Last -- Nolan Knight
A Native Problem -- Chris F. Holm
Spend It Now, Pay Later -- Nik Morton
Spot Marks the X -- I. J. Parnham
Hoosier Daddy -- Jedidiah Ayres
The Ghost Ship -- Evan Lewis
Anarchy Among Friends: A Love Story -- Andy Henion
Cannulation -- Glenn Gray
The Unreal Jesse James -- Chap O’Keefe
Acting Out -- Frank Bill

11 comments:

David Barber said...

Evan, I'll be looking out for you story and congrats on mmaking the anthology.

Regards, David.

Deka Black said...

Ashamed to recognize what still i've not readed a single line of Beat to a Pulp... My interest are mostly hero and weird stuff. (why the people do not write hero stuff? or maybe they write, but i do not find it).

Anyway Evan, congratulations for your place in the anthology. be in company of people admired by you is a great thing ;)

Charles Gramlich said...

Very good story today at BTAP. I enjoyed it. I don't know why I haven't been following your blog more regularly. So many blogs so little time I guess. I'll have to rectify that.

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks guys. My version of Lafitte is sort of a pulp hero, Deka, in the tradition of Captain Blood (who made his debut in Adventure). Hope you'll give him a try. And you're right, Charles, it's tough keeping up with all the blogs. My eyeball muscles can only handle so much.

George said...

Congratulations! You're in good company!

Richard R. said...

This must be the story where young Hawkins hides in the apple barrel. I'll have to go take a look.

Deka Black said...

Why not? i was searching something short to read after the Spider novel ;)

Deka Black said...

well, just read The adventures of Captain Laffitte. Remember me never make him angry. To tell the truth, imagine the face of his enemy is just hilarious. A very good pirate tale. One of those what are spoken in the Port Royal inns ;)

Paul D Brazill said...

Congratulations. I'll be over at BTAP later.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Great story-atmospheric but not overdone which is so difficult to get right.

Francis Weiss said...

Greatt reading your blog