Saturday, July 31, 2010

(Belated) Forgotten Music: Annie Oakley's Traffic Safety Songs


OK, I screwed up again and didn't get my Forgotten Music post up on Thursday like I should have. My apologies to host Scott Parker and the rest of the gang.

Here's an amazing little 78 I came across in an antique mall in Las Vegas. The amazing thing is that it was ever recorded and issued. There's a photo of the TV show's Gail Davis on the back, but she is not in evidence on this record. I have a couple of recordings by Gail, including the show's theme song, and she has a distinctive voice. Still, I've heard worse music, and the songs have a certain goofy charm. A friend of mine once played them during traffic reports on his radio show, to the undoubted amusement (and befuddlement) of his audience.

"The Traffic Light Song" by Annie Oakley

"I Like to Ride My Bike" by Annie Oakley


One advantage to being late to Forgotten Music is that I can bring you direct links to the rest of this month's posts:

"Revolutions" by Steve Winwood

From Sean Coleman:
Art Garfunkle's "Watermark"

 From Bill Cirder:
Stonewall Jackson

From Martin Edwards:
"Loneliness Remebers"

From Randy Johnson:
Ratt

From Todd Mason:
"Seductive Reasoning" by Maggie & Terre Roche

From Scott Parker:
Bruce Springsteen's "Lucky Town"

From Perplexio:
"Runaway" by Bill Champlin

From Eric Peterson:
"Apple" by Mother Love Bone

From Charlie Ricci:
Robert Lamm's "Leap of Faith"

Dang, that's a fine music collection (even without the Annie Oakley). I'll try to be on time next month. Really.  

6 comments:

David Cranmer said...

That is certainly different.

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, I'd forgotten Annie's safety songs. I'll try to keep it together.

Evan Lewis said...

Your dad will be proud of you, Charles.

George said...

Very nice summary of July's FORGOTTEN MUSIC, Evan! I'm sure Art Scott has a copy of ANNIE OAKLEY'S TRAFFIC SAFETY SONGS somewhere in his vast vinyl collection.

Evan Lewis said...

That's true, George. "The Traffic Light Song" does have a brief near-classical passage that might be near-pleasing to Mr. Scott's fine sensibilities.

Anonymous said...

i have the annie oakley safety song
the rekert is in ex. goog shape.the
caver has 2 smal tares at the top.
larry from york pa