Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Overlooked Films: Jonathan Latimer's "The Lady in the Morgue" (1938)


Here's one I'd like the see. This was the second of three films based on Latimer's great Bill Crane series, and the only one to retain the original title. Could be bad, but can't be any worse than the movie poster. I had this ugly purple and green sucker on my wall for a while and soon got tired of looking at it. HERE'S SOMEONE selling the film on DVD for fifteen bucks. Wish I had fifteen bucks to blow.






More Overlooked Films at SWEET FREEDOM!

8 comments:

Deka Black said...

Films in B&W have a light feeling... not better than colour films. not necessarily. But the use of lightning, the way is used, i think is more noticeable.

In fact, i heard many times the expression "in glorious Black & White".

Todd Mason said...

So, how much do you think was softpedaled from the novel?

Evan Lewis said...

Wish I knew, Todd.

Oscar Case said...

I think I saw this in the '40's. I always liked Preston Foster.

Cap'n Bob said...

I checked Netflix. Zilch.

Richard Prosch said...

They did have trouble putting together a good image for this --book or film. Seems like the title would lend itself nicely to a cool image...but apparently not.

J F Norris said...

Preston Foster is EXACTLY as I picture Bill Crane. I bet much of the playing around with the corpse is not shown but only talked about.

This movie is only available from movie peddlers who make copies on DVD-R discs. I don't think there's a professional DVD in legal release for sale anywhere. I've tried many times to find one. No luck.

There's one missing DJ from Evan's selection: The 1st edition Crime Club

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks John! Wish I had the real thing to wrap around my copy of the book.