Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MyNoReMo Starts Tomorrow


Last week I decided I'd been ditzing around long enough with the novel I "finished" last year, and announced I'd get the final revisions done in April. A fit of madness? Probably. But I'm still committed, and the battle begins tomorrow. I'm calling it MyNoReMo, or My Novel Revision Month.

So far, three stalwarts have signed on to struggle through this with me. In order of sticking their hands up, they are: Kassandra Kelly, Cap'n Bob Napier and a talking cat named Zipper. Others are still welcome. (Hey, if a talking cat can do it, why not you?)

An event called NaNoEdMo is just now finishing. Their goal was to do 50 hours of editing during the month of March. For MyNoReMo, I'm not sure counting hours is the best way to go. Since my end-of-month goal is to "Get That Sucker Done", tracking progress will tough. Here's my plan, as of the moment:

I'll spend the first two days reading the manuscript start to finish and taking brief notes on areas that need work. Then I'll allocate the rest of the month accordingly. By the end of Week 1 I'll expect to have revisions done through page XX, and set page number goals for the next three weeks. If I fall behind, tough. I'll just have to work overtime to catch up. If all else fails I'll call James Reasoner and ask him for a pep talk.

In preparation, I've scheduled a mess of generally mindless posts to go up. Expect fewer words and more pictures (probably an improvement). It may look like I'm blogging, but I'll be working - honest!

14 comments:

Richard Prosch said...

Best wishes on the endeavor! Keep the eye drops handy!

Chris said...

I'm doing something similar with a few people, kind of an impromptu NaNoWriMo thing. Only I'm using the word count goal as a prod to finish two projects I've got going and two stories.

Oscar Case said...

I like the illustration of the big struggle. Good luck! I'm sure you will complete it on time.

Richard R. said...

Go man go!

Kassandra said...

Maybe you don't have that much to do. Lots of Davy = good book. The owl swoop is my favorite part, so don't mess with that. My only complaint is that the girl makes very few barnyard noises.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I'll be working with you. Changing the POV throughout the month. For the third time! Who knew it would be so hard to see who should tell the story?

Evan Lewis said...

I've been changing POV on part of a short story, and finding it harder than I expected. Drafting is easy and revision hard, but changing things is real pain in the butt.

Laurie Powers said...

I don't have anything to revise, but I've been toying with the idea of starting something.

Evan Lewis said...

Any more murdered boyfriends in your past, Laurie?

James Reasoner said...

You can do it, Dave. (There's your pep talk in advance, but feel free to call anyway.)

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks James! I'll read that comment every morning.

Anonymous said...

Sounds torturous. Good luck.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Another name I keep meaning to try. Will I live long enough?

R L Kelstrom said...

I'm just getting started today. Yesterday the sun was out for a while so I had to sit in the window and groom myself. So, today I'm getting out the old manuscript and I'll try my best to read and scratch out a few notes without putting on my Major-editor collar.