Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hardboiled Quiz: The Answers

OK, here's the poop. (If you missed it, the Quiz ran yesterday. Click HERE.) This thing, concocted by a couple of guys named Lewis and Napier, first appeared in Andy Jaysnovitch's The Not So Private Eye No. 11, way back in 1983. Then in 1991 it was reprinted in issue 12 of Gary Lovisi's Hardboiled Detective. Most of the quiz art is from either Hollywood Detective or pulps of the same line. Not surprisingly, those dudes Lewis and Napier were never heard from again.




And just so you get your money's worth from this post, here are the covers of the two zines. The Not So Private Eye art (below) is by Brad W. Foster. The Hardboiled Detective cover is by Bruce Timm.


9 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I remember THE NOT SO PRIVATE EYE. I still have all the issues and often wonder what happened to Andy. He visited me a couple times many years ago and we discussed pulp art. Last time I saw him was at a jazz gig in Princeton, NJ.

Evan Lewis said...

Andy has a Facebook page, and looks in now and then. He gave me his blessing to reprint Bill Crider's Crocodile article last month.

Richard R. said...

That was a lot of fun, and I even got a few correct. Thanks for that pair of posts, Evan, a LOT. Like the artwork also, if I'd tried I might have figured out it was Timm, form his comic work.

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks Rick. It was interesting reading this article again. The cap'n and I said some stuff here that almost made us sound smart. Nowadays, of course, people know better.

Frank Loose said...

I only got a few right. I've read everyone except Roy Huggins. I have to admit, I didn't know he wrote any books. I remember him from the various tv shows he wrote in the 60s. Guess I need to track down one of his titles. You ever read him?

BTW, that William Campbell Gault (Roney Scott) book Shakedown is one heckuva read. Highly recommended. It is hands down my favorite Gault, and features a different, harder edged Joe Puma. Same name, different character.

Richard R. said...

Frank, there's a review of one of Huggins' best ones, DOUBLE TAKE, my blog. Search for "Huggins" and it comes up.

Frank Loose said...

Thanks, Richard. I just read the review and will be tracking down a copy of the book.

Evan Lewis said...

Huggins' other novels are Too Late for Tears and Lovely Lady Pity Me. The article implies one of these features Stu Bailey, but that ain't so. His other Bailey book is 77 Sunset Strip, collecting three novelettes originally published in slick mags. I enjoyed all four books, but it was a coon's age ago.

Cap'n Bob said...

I flunked. Oh, the ravages of time on a mind.