Saturday, October 4, 2014

Toy Soldier Saturday: Meet the MARX Flintstones



OK, they're not exactly soldiers, but they fall under that broad umbrella that includes cowboys and Indians and cops and cavemen and even Campus Cuties (yes, Campus Cuties. Stay tuned.). The Marx Flintstones Playset was introduced back in the Stone Age of 1961, and included lots of cool stone buildings and cars and accessories, none of which are in my possession. Somewhere in my hunt for toy soldiers I came across these figures and agreed to give them a home (which turned out to be a box designed for baseball cards). These folks average about 3 inches tall. 













Toy Soldiers who are really soldiers, HERE.

8 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Well, I'm finally one up on you. I have the playset.

Evan Lewis said...

I can hear you shouting "Yabba-dabba-do!" from 150 miles away.

Anonymous said...

I never saw a Flintstones playset IRL, but I seem to remember an ad for it in a catalog. IIRC, there was also an ad for a Yogi Bear/Jellystone Park set.

Evan Lewis said...

Cap'n Bob, King of the Playsets, probably has that one too.

Cap'n Bob said...

No, but I think they used some of the same accessories. There are guys with MiB playsets stacked to the rafters. My ragged little pile isn't a patch on those. I wish it were otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of using the same accessories, the palm trees look like the same kind that were used in the Jungle Jim and Daktari sets. I think they were also used in another (relatively realistic) prehistoric set.

Cap'n Bob said...

Correct, Anon. Also used in Iwo Jima and any sets that needed a tropical or prehistoric look.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your interesting and informative blog. I have enjoyed reading it and appreciate the work you have put into it. Here is some relevant information for you to review .
Toy Gun Playsets