Saturday, April 18, 2015

Toy Soldier Saturday: MARX 60mm CAVALRY


I don't know if "cavalry" is one of the most misspelled and mispronounced words in the English language, or if it just seems that way because I find it so annoying. Verbally, movie and TV folks seem to either put the "l" in the wrong place or leave it out entirely about sixty percent of the time. In print (probably thanks to spell check), the screw-up percentage is lower. The most egregious example I've seen was on a display card in the Alamo gift shop, where they were offering a reproduction of a "Calvary" pistol. (For the record, you Alamo giftorians, Funk & Wagnalls defines "Calvary" as "The place, near the site of ancient Jerusalem, where Christ was crucified," and "calvary" as "A sculptured representation of the Crucifixion, usually erected in the open air." What kind of pistol is that?)

As to these figures, I know there are more poses in the set, but this is all I possess. I asked Cap'n Bob Napier for a chance to photograph some of his, but he said they've gone into storage somewhere deep in the catacombs of his vast toy soldier collection. Bummer.




Get your Toy Soldiermania fix HERE.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

me want

Anonymous said...

"Cavalry" probably *is* one of the most often misspelled words in English. And I've lost count of the times I've seen "calvary" used when they meant a mobile Army unit on horseback or in armored vehicles.

Oscar Case said...

A nice representation of the whole caboodle.

Cap'n Bob said...

I stopped looking for toy soldiers on eBay because I couldn't help correcting peoples' misuse of calvary, among other abominations. Years ago I composed a list of all the misspellings of cavalry from eBay and recorded 29 different ones. The next most egregious error was "Davey Crocket."

Anonymous said...

Did they use different sculpters