Thursday, August 26, 2010

Forgotten Music: Uriah Heep


One night in 1970, someone stuck a set of pro-quality headphones over my ears and handed me this album cover. One of the first songs I heard was "Dreammare."

This was pretty heavy stuff for the time, and I was an instant Uriah Heep fan. I stuck with them for four more albums, and some of my favorite tunes are featured below. Now I discover they went on to release a total of 22 studio and 12 live albums, the latest in 2009, and they're still going. Understandably, they've had a ton of personnel changes over the years, but the one constant - and the one guy still with the group - is guitar player Mick Box. Yikes. 40 straight years of Uriah Heep. Gotta wonder what kind of brain damage that guy has.

Dreammare (1970)


Lady in Black (1971)


The Wizard (1972)


Easy Livin' (1972)


Forgotten Music is a production of Scott Parker, and you'll find links to more of this month's selections HERE.

12 comments:

Richard R. said...

I like the 1972 UH, but that first album never grabbed me. I guess I was too wrapped up in Doors-Big Brother-Airplane- Beatles-Cream and the like... or whatever. I did and still do like The Wizard and Easy Livin'

Deka Black said...

The drawing have a Virgil Finlay feeling. maybe i gige Uriah Heep a try. Lately i listen soundtracks and a change are welcome

Evan Lewis said...

The really heavy stuff from the group's first album doesn't move me like it used to. Of course, on my first hearing I'm pretty sure I was somewhere south of sober due to a popular herb of the day.

What are some of your favorite soundtracks, Deka?

Randy Johnson said...

I listened to a bit of Heap in my day, but was never a huge fan. Good stuff though.

Richard Prosch said...

I liked an occasional helpin' o' Heap myself, but they didn't make the digital transition with me. Halfway through the song, I was still expecting the KA-CHUNK of the 8-Track tape program change.

Charles Gramlich said...

Enjoy the Heap very much. Very underrated band. I've got a few of their albums. One of my favorite songs is "Stealin"

Steve M said...

Have seen Heep many times and own many of their albums. Their latest "Wake the Sleeper" is well worth a listen.

Deka Black said...

Well, the forst i remember: Star Wars,. Also, Gojira and in more modern tracks, i'm very fond of one from TV: Doctor Who.

Richard R. said...

Deka, I'm a huge fan of soundtracks, many have been reviewed on my blog, click on the Saturday Soundtrack category.

Evan - a popular herb, eh? It was probably just oregano.

George said...

Steve is right: WAKE THE SLEEPER is pretty good.

Charlie Ricci said...

I hadn't thought of Uriah Heep in years. Thanks for the reminder.

Cap'n Bob said...

If I have to listen to music by someone named after a Dickens character I'll take Tiny Tim every time.