Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Ghost Who Walks Vol. 4: 1940-1943


Hermes Press' fourth volume of The Phantom: The Complete Newspaper Dailies features three continuities. First up, our hero uncovers an underground air base prepping for use by a hostile nation. Then thieves make off with the treasure he and his forebears have been hoarding for 400 years. And finally, WWII comes to Africa, with an invasion by the Japanese.

As usual, the Phantom comes at trouble with flying fists, blazing guns, and a wry sense of humor. So far, I'm pleased to report, nine volumes of dailies have been published. I have a little catching up to do. 








8 comments:

Bill said...

Looks like some entertaining stuff! My only real experience with The Ghost Who Walks is the mid-90s movie and a few months of dailies from just a few years ago, when a local newspaper was carrying the current incarnation of the Phantom newspaper strip. Definitely a different feel all together from this era, I don't think the modern version had half the sense of humor and none of the sharp dialogue.

Evan Lewis said...

I didn't know the strip was still going. The Phantom debuted in 1936, and is credited with being the first of the long underwear heroes.

shonokin said...

Yep it is still going to this day.
A couple of months ago Hermes Press put out a full-sized reprint of the color Sundays for the first 6 stories. It's hard to understand how big it is until it's in hand, but it is a HUUUGE book and looks fantastic. The reprint quality was great.

Evan Lewis said...

I tried to get that Sunday volume through InterLibrary Loan, but it's too new. I have to wait until 2016 to try again.

Cap'n Bob said...

I loved this strip in the fifties and sixties. Then it disappeared from my papers. I haven't seen it since.

Evan Lewis said...

Shucks, Cap'n. If only you weren't a library outlaw.

Unknown said...

The current Phantom strip isn't worth bothering with. I gave it about a few months starting around the first of this year and didn't find anything in it to like.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'm on good terms with the library again but I rarely use it. I'd feel like I was cheating on all the books in my house.