Monday, November 1, 2010

Let the NaNoWriMoing Begin


Yep, today's the day. I've spent the past two weeks plotting a Skyler Hobbs novel, and - ready or not - today I'll start drafting.

To get psyched up, I've been re-reading some of my favorite books on writing. These include Carolyn Wheat's How to Write Killer Fiction, James N. Frey's How to Write a Damn Good series (Novel, Novel II and Mystery), Larry Brooks' Story Structure - Demystified and Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass. I've also been reading, for the first time, Write with Fire by Charles Allen Gramlich (more on that later).

My goal is to average 2000 words a day, churning out 60,000 of the 80,000 words I expect to need. I'll be tracking my progress daily over on the left.

Like last year, this means you'll be seeing more art and fewer words here on the Almanack (which is probably a good thing), and hey - I'm hoping it will be some pretty dang good art.

10 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Good luck, slugger.

Deka Black said...

Step by step, if you don't mind:

1-Good luck!

2-Art is a good idea!

3-I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, but i have this goal: to write at least 2 stories and finish a third.

4-Good luck! (again)

Ron Scheer said...

See you all in December...

Jerry House said...

Wish you luck (you already have the skill)!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Have fun with it, Dave.

Charles Gramlich said...

Rock it, man! Looking forward to seeing your progress. and thanks for picking up WRite with Fire. Hope you find something of use in it.

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks, gang. Skyler Hobbs sends his regards.

Richard said...

I keep looking in as long as we can, then I'll call when we're in and at least a little settled.

Kassandra said...

Hey, it will write itself! I mean, it should be easy to write, you know the characters so well. If it did write itself that would pretty cool too. Wonder what Skyler would say about that?

Oscar Case said...

ONE, TWO, THREE, CHARGE! And good luck with it.