Wednesday, September 29, 2010

BLACK MASK: A Message from "Cap" Shaw

If you harbored any doubt that Black Mask is the number one magazine for rip-snorting, red-blooded he-men, Editor Joseph "Cap" Shaw and his pal Colgate Baker are here to set you straight:

from Sept. 1932 (click to enlarge)


If this cover looks familiar, it's because I borrowed it to celebrate Brian Drake's Mask-inspired story collection, Reaper's Dozen.

Coming Friday Oct. 8: A Forgotten Black Mask Book. Think you know what it is? Bet you don't.

8 comments:

Richard R. said...

That's great, thanks for sharing it. I'm looking forward to your Friday post. I won't be doing an FFB this week, several of us are taking the day off. Hmm, maybe I should have made the Avram Davidson book an FFB, eh?

Evan Lewis said...

Oops. I missed the memo that Forgotten Books was taking a week off. Guess I'll save my Black Mask FFB until Oct 8.

Deka Black said...

Editorials in pulp magazines is a whole world, and worth to know more deeply. I would want to see more.

Charles Gramlich said...

The kind of letter we'd all like to get.

Cullen Gallagher said...

Couldn't agree with the letter any more.

And now I have to wait until Oct 8 to find out what your mystery book is! Gosh darn...

David Cranmer said...

Wonderful history you have uncovered here.

Anonymous said...

That looks like an amazing issue: Nebel, Whitfield, and Gardner. Damn. All three of those guys need to be more anthologized. Especially Nebel.

Evan Lewis said...

True!