Thursday, September 30, 2010

Forgotten Music: The BlackAdder Theme


I've been watching BlackAdder: The Complete Collector's Set (from the library, natch) this past month, and this ding dang theme song seems to be stuck in my head. Lucky for me, I like it.

THEMES FROM BLACKADDER I AND II
I can recommend only the first half of this video, with the great closing credits to the first series, the haunting closing to that series' finale, and one or two closings to BlackAdder II. The second series was unique in that each episode closed with different lyrics, specific to events of that episode. Listening to six of them in a row may rot your mind. The sing-a-long lyrics were added by a fan, and one who is not a particularly good speller. The fan also thought BlackAdder's horse was "blacker than a vole," while the official sing-a-long provided on the DVD says "blacker than a hole." An important difference, I'm sure you'll agree.



BLACKADDER III INTRO
This opening theme is cool and classical. The end theme went a whole 'nother direction, trying to be jazzy and avant garde. Mostly, it was just annoying. Still, I would have posted it here if there'd been a decent recording on YouTube. The only one I found was very hard to hear.



END THEME FROM BLACKADDER IV
Put on your marching shoes.



END THEME FROM BLACKADDER BACK AND FORTH
This single episode filmed ten years after the others was new to me, and definitely entertaining, but writers Richard Curtis and Ben Elton had mellowed, and the old BlackAdder edge was dull. Didn't hurt the song any, though. The lyrics are tough to make out, so I've provided them below as a public service.



Let joy fill every Briton's heart,
for now our country's going to make it.
At last a king who looks the part,
At last a queen who looks good naked,
BlackAdder, BlackAdder,
A monarch with panache.
BlackAdder, BlackAdder,
he's got a nice mustache.
Everything he wants he'll get,
The world is now BlackAdder's oyster.
Most prime ministers are wet,
But Baldrick he is even moister,
BlackAdder, BlackAdder,
A dog who's got his bone.
BlackAdder, BlackAdder,
a bastard on the throne.
BlackAdder, BlackAdder,
His beard is neatly curled.
BlackAdder, BlackAdder,
he's going to rule the world.

More of this month's Forgotten Music at Scott Parker's Blog!

8 comments:

I.J. Parnham said...

And there was me thinking that his horse was blacker than a mole!

Anyhow, I'll be humming this for the rest of the day.

Deka Black said...

I have a cunning plan, my lord!

Paul D Brazill said...

Very clever use of music in Blackadder, Clever series.

George said...

I been intending to watch THE BLACKADDER series for years. What's your opinion on the series? My public library has these sets, too.

David Barber said...

Old Slack Bladder, eh? An absolute awesome series. And a very catchy piece of music they used.

Another fine series to look out for would be The New Statesman. It's a political comedy series but brilliant. Great writing and superb actors.

Also, try Father Ted. A series about Irish Priests. Hilarious!!

Evan Lewis said...

When I first saw this show on public TV, and was really into sophomoric humor, I thought it was hilarious. Now that I'm all *grown up* I found it even funnier, and was also in awe of the writing.

George said...

That sounds good to me, Evan. I'll reserve it from my public library today.

Martin Edwards said...

Great post. I have always been a big fan of Blackadder. Very funny.