Friday, June 29, 2018

Forgotten Stories: Captain Blood in "THE PRIZE" by Rafael Sabatini (1921)


You may have noticed that Captain Blood in one of my favorite books. (If you haven't, look HERE.)  So . . . while perusing comicbookplus, I was mighty pleased to come across this fine sample from the July 1, 1921 of Adventure magazine. "The Prize" is one of nine stories originally published in Adventure that Sabatini stitched together to form the novel in 1922. This is pirate adventure history in the making.

P.S. Two more of my favorites books are the story collections Captain Blood Returns (aka The Chronicles of Captain Blood) and The Fortunes of Captain Blood.  Check them out!










4 comments:

George said...

Rafael Sabatini knew how to write Adventure! Love his books!

Charles Gramlich said...

Very cool find. I too am a fan of Captain Blood

Richard Moore said...

I loved Captain Blood and Sabatini. Just yesterday was eyeing a copy of The Carolinian (1925) which I have carted around for years unread. Also tempted by a collection of stories about Casanova by Sabatini that is a modern compilation. I loved Casanova's Memoirs which I read in the Dover edition years ago and loved. That translation, as I recall, was by British writer Arthur Machen, another favorite but not in adventure. I could look at my copies of the three book set but I'm lazy this afternoon.

Yvette said...

I love Rafael Sabatini. Love CAPTAIN BLOOD. Love THE SEA HAWK. Thanks for roundabout reminding me that I have a copy of SCARAMOUCHE still waiting to be read.